Some extra information
Call us on: 0141 221 4148



Dependent on individual circumstances, you should be able to access support through one or more of the following schemes.

Self Employed Income Support Scheme

This scheme can be used if you are self-employed or you’re a member of a partnership and have lost income due to the coronavirus.

The scheme will allow an individual to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months. This may be extended if needed.

You can apply if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and you:

  • have submitted your Income Tax Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19
  • traded in the tax year 2019-20
  • are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19
  • intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020-21
  • have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19

Your self-employed trading profits must also be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income comes from self-employment. More information about this scheme can be found at
Those eligible under the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS), which has so far seen 2.3 million claims worth £6.8 billion will be able to claim a second and final grant in August. The grant will be worth 70% of their average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering three months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.

The UK Government announced on 24 September that the Scheme is being extended. The extension will provide two grants and will last for six months from November 2020 to April 2021. The first grant will cover a three-month period from the start of November until the end of January. It will cover 20 per cent of average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months’ worth of profits, and capped at £1,875 in total. 
You can find out more information on the SEISS Grant Extension at:

Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme

The CBILS provides financial support to smaller businesses (SMEs) across the UK that are losing revenue, and seeing their cashflow disrupted, as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

British Business Bank operates CBILS via its accredited lenders. There are over 40 of these lenders currently working to provide finance. They include high-street banks, challenger banks, asset-based lenders and smaller specialist local lenders

A lender can provide up to £5 million in the form of term loans, overdrafts, invoice finance or asset finance. CBILS gives the lender a government-backed guarantee for the loan repayments to encourage more lending. The borrower remains fully liable for the debt.

More information can be found at

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a payment to help with living costs, available to people on a low income or who are out of work. Visit to check your eligibility for this form of assistance.

Please note -  some banks/building societies are offering ‘mortgage holidays’ for those who have lost income due to coronavirus. It is recommended that you check with your individual lender to find out if you are eligible.

You can also find more information on the Find Business Support website or contact the Scottish Government’s business helpline on 0300 303 0660.

Private and third sector providers

All private and third sector providers who provide funded ELC in their settings will continue to receive payments from their local authority for these funded ELC hours. Your local authority will be in contact with you to confirm local arrangements for these payments.

Private and third sector providers will be able to access the following support measures.

Statutory Sick Pay

 As of 13 March 2020, employees and workers must receive any Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) due to them from their first day of self-isolation if it’s because:

• they have coronavirus
• they have coronavirus symptoms, for example a high temperature or new continuous cough
• someone in their household has coronavirus symptoms
• they’ve been told to 'shield' by the NHS because of an underlying health condition
• they've been told to self-isolate by a doctor or NHS 111
• they’ve been told to self-isolate by a government 'test and trace' service, because they’ve been in close contact with someone who tested positive with 'Test and Protect' 

Some employers can claim back up to 2 weeks’ SSP they’ve paid to anyone because of coronavirus. Find out more about claiming back SSP due to coronavirus on GOV.UK.
Employees who are in self-isolation need to follow their workplace’s usual sickness reporting process.
Employees can 'self-certify' for the first 7 days off work. This means following their workplace process but not having to get a note from a doctor or NHS 111.
Those self-isolating due to coronavirus for more than 7 days can get an online self-isolation note from the NHS website.

If you can work from home whilst self-isolating, you will not be able to claim sick pay.

Statutory Sick Pay Rebate

Third Sector Providers

Due to the overwhelming demand for the TSRF, the Scottish Government announced a second phase to the fund and pledged additional funding. 

For Phase 2 of the Third Sector Resilience Fund, the guidance and criteria have been adapted to maximise the number of third sector organisations that benefit from it:

• Applicants must be at risk of or unable to cover essential costs within 12 weeks from the date of application
• The maximum grant amount awarded will be £75,000
• Funding requests must be for a three-month period (previously four months)
• Eligible costs will be mostly limited to overheads and essential staff (administrative for example) who cannot be furloughed. Please visit the FAQs section for more detailed information
• All grant applications requesting £50,000 or more will be considered for a loan, a grant or a blended approach (part grant, part loan)

Employment & Self-Employment Coronavirus Help

The Money Saving Expert website is a good source of information and advice on employment matters and more:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Support to Childcare Sector

Please find below links that will offer support at this time:

ELC Workforce Health and Wellbeing

Wellbeing Hub: The Wellbeing Hub was launched on 7July 2020, it provides a range of practical Wellbeing support working in Early Learning and Childcare (ELC). It hosts a wealth of resources to support in understanding Wellbeing, mental health and mental illness. It also provides the opportunity to connect those working within the early years sector to share practice, thoughts and ideas.

Early Years Scotland also support members by offering up to date guidance on COVID-19 as well as creating a document on Wellbeing and Support Guidance for ELC settings.

New Self-Isolation Support Grant

On the 30 September the Scottish Government announced that there will be a new grant opened to applicants on 12 October to support people on low income to receive £500 grant when asked to self-isolate:

Early Learning & Childcare Inclusion Fund

The fifth round of the Early Learning & Childcare Inclusion Fund opened on 22 September 2020.

ELC settings can apply for funding for training, resources, equipment and adaptations to support children with ASN. 

For further information about how to apply please visit the Children in Scotland website or email

Job Support Scheme

On 24 September 2020 the UK Government announced that the Job Support Scheme will be introduced from 1 November 2020. The scheme will run for 6 months, the UK Government will contribute towards the wages of employees who are working fewer than normal hours due to decreased demand.

In order to receive support employees must be working at least 33% of their usual hours. The company will continue to pay its employee for time worked.  For the hours not worked, the government and the employer will each pay one third of their equivalent salary. The Government contribution will be capped at £697.92 per month. 

More information on the Job Support Scheme can be found at:

Scottish Child Payment

On 3 November 2020 the Cabinet Secretary for Social Security and Older People announced that Scottish Child Payment will open for applications from 9 November with the first payments beginning from the end of February 2021.
This means that low-income families with a child under six will be able to apply for £10 per child, per week - equivalent to £520 per year. 
There are no limits on the number of eligible children supported by Scottish Child Payment.